Unless you have kids of a certain age, you almost certainly would not have been watching the Teen Choices Awards 2013 at which Ashton Kutcher was presented with the Ultimate Choice Award. You may not even know who Ashton Kutcher is – he’s an American actor, producer and model. So what has this actor who you may only vaguely have heard of got to say to you about success and getting what you want in life. A hell of a lot as it turns out, and 2.1 million people (and growing more by the hour) have already dropped in on YouTube to hear his proclamations on hard work, perseverance and dreaming big. Hardly the stuff of viral you might think but you’d be wrong.
Here’s the 3 Insider Secrets on Success from Ashton Kutcher, in full:
“Let’s be brutally honest, this is the old guy award. This is like the grampa award and after this I get to go to the geriatric home. First of all, I don’t have a career without you guys. I don’t get to do any of the things I do without you. I thought that it might be interesting, in Hollywood, in the industry, in the stuff we do, there’s a lot of like insider secrets to keeping your career going and a lot of insider secrets to making things tick and I feel like a fraud. My name is not even Ashton, Ashton is my middle name, my first name’s Chris and it always has been. It got changed when I was about 19 and I became an actor but there are some really amazing things I learned when I was Chris and I wanted to share those things with you guys because I think it’s helped me be here today.
So it’s really three things:
The first thing is about opportunity, the second thing is about being sexy and the third thing is about living life.
I believe that opportunity looks a lot like hard work. When I was 13 I had my first job with my dad carrying shingles up to the roof, and then I got a job washing dishes at a restaurant and then I got a job in a grocery store deli and then I got a job in a factory sweeping Cheerio dust off the ground and I’ve never had a job in my life that I was better than! I was always just lucky to have a job. And every job I had was a stepping stone to my next job, and I never quit my job until I had my next job. And so opportunities look a lot like work.
Number two, being sexy:
The sexiest thing in the entire world is being really smart. And being thoughtful, and being generous. Everything else is crap, I promise you. It’s just crap that people try to sell to you to make you feel like less. So don’t buy it! Be smart, be thoughtful and be generous.
The third thing is something that I just relearned when I was making this movie about Steve Jobs. And Steve Jobs said, when you grow up you tend to get told that the world is the way that it is and that your life is to live your life inside the world and not to get in too much trouble and may be get an education and get a job and make some money and have a family, but life can be a lot broader than that when you realise one simple thing and that is that everything around us that we call life was made up of people that are no smarter than you. And you can build your own things, you can build your own life that other people can live in. So build a life — don’t live one, build one. Find your opportunities and always be sexy. I love you guys.”
Insider secrets for your brilliant life
- I don’t have a career without you guys, I don’t get to do any of the things I do without you – If you want to succeed in business or create a brilliant life you can’t do it in isolation, you have to create the networks necessary to achieve what you want in life.
- Some really amazing things I learned helped me to be here today – Celebrate what you’ve learnt from past experiences rather than beat yourself up about it. If they’re negative things, learn from them, move on and recognise they are part of what makes you unique today. Your own unique selling point (USP).
- Opportunity looks a lot like hard work – To be the best, to have the most successful business or life takes hard work. The definition of genius: “99% perspiration, 1% inspiration.” Sweat it, but sweat it smart.
- I’ve never had a job in my life that I was better than – Take what you can from each opportunity in life, grow from it and if you don’t like it, use it as a spring board to move forward.
- The sexiest thing in the entire world is being smart – He says it all here. All your looks, dealings in life mean nothing if you’re not smart about what you do
- Being thoughtful and being generous – add in a note of compassion to your fellow travellers in life by ‘being thoughtful and being generous’ – ask any entrepreneur and you’ll find the more you give the more you get. It only takes a second to be kind and generous but people remember it for a lifetime.
- The world is the way that it is and your life is to live your life inside the world – Crap, the world is for the taking, for grabbing by the balls and shaking and creating it the way you want it. And when you see successful people, they are no smarter than you, they’ve just seized opportunity by the hand as you can.
- Build a life, don’t live one, build one. Find your opportunities – You create your own life. You can be a victim to life and blame others or you can take charge of it yourself and find your own opportunities. Once you take charge of your own life and accept responsibility for it, new pathways will open up to you, new opportunities will be there for the seizing.
Ashton Kutcher has described brilliant living, so here’s two new fans of Ashton to add to the 2.1 million. What about you?
What have you learnt from Ashton Kutcher today? Tell us below
Watch Ashton’s speech below.
[responsive_video type=’youtube’ hide_related=’1′ hide_logo=’1′ hide_controls=’0′ hide_title=’1′ hide_fullscreen=’0′ autoplay=’0′]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuBSRC1zpHw&t=35s[/responsive_video]